Monday, February 2, 2009

He holds everything together...


Colossians 1:15-23 "Christ is the exact likeness of God, who can't be seen. He is first, and he is over all of creation. All things were created by him. He created everything in heaven and on earth. He created everything that can be seen and everything that can't be seen. He created kings, powers, rulers and authorities. Everything was created by him and for him. Before anything was created, he was already there. He holds everything together. And he is the head of the body, which is the church. He is the beginning. He is the first to be raised from the dead. That happened so that he would be far above everything. God was pleased to have his whole nature living in Christ. God was pleased to bring all things back to himself because of what Christ has done. That includes all things on earth and in heaven. God made peace through Christ's blood, through his death on the cross. At one time you were separated from God. You were enemies in your minds because of your evil ways. But because Christ died, God has brought you back. Christ's death has made you holy in God's sight. So now you don't have any flaw. You are free from blame. But you must keep your faith steady and firm. Don't move away from the hope that the good news holds out to you."
There are some days when I finally get it. "He holds everything together." That means he holds me together. I am realizing that God made me to be exactly the person am, nobody else. But, most of the time I spent my energy thinking about all the ways I wish I weren't anything like me. But all those things I wish would go away, God totally did on purpose. He made me curious and a little outspoken, He made me smart and sometimes not so smart. He made me full of laughter and with uncanny ability to think about 5,000 things all at once. And while I make no mistake that I have a lot of word to do in order to "keep my faith steady and firm" I think that perhaps what I really need to work on is learning not to run away from "the hope that the good news holds out" to me. I keep trying to hold myself together and tonight, for the first time in a long while, I am realizing that it's time I let go for a change, and let him hold me together without a fight...It's just a thought.

No comments: