Thursday, December 17, 2009

My "like family"


You know those people in your life who aren't related to you, but when you try to tell other people who they are in relation to you, you generally say something to the effect of "they are like family to me." I call these people my "like family." I am blessed with a huge "like family" that fills my life with a lot of love. And at the risk of leaving someone out, tonight I'm especially thankful for:
- The Conwell family. Vann and Susan who truly treat me like a daughter and are constantly imparting wisdom on my confused heart, and Katie lea and Caroline who are such wonderful girls and always treat me with love and kindness.
- Matthew, Tommy and Ashley- the best montor group I could ever have. They are my brothers and sister, they have seen me cry and laugh and overthink everything. My words will never be enough to say how much I appreciate thier presence in my life.
- The Lees- I got to spend time tonight with Pebbles and Tom and their 3 girls, and they have always welcomed me into their home and family. Tonight was nothing spectacular, just some good family time, watching Christmas movies, picking up girls from dance practice, and baking pumkin bread for teacher presents, but it was wonderful.
-My lovely roommates. Robyn and Chelsea are amazing girls who are indeed the sisters God forgot to give me. Everyday that passes I find myself more thankful for them, especially when I see how so many of my other friends have had terrible roommate expereinces of people who are just hateful and mean or selfish. While our living situation hasn't been perfect, I can honestly say that at the end of the day there is nothing but love in my heart for them.
-My Nola family. The list here is a bit ridiculous but I have been planning my trip to New Orleans and I realized how much love I have for so many there. I can't wait to catch up with perry, stay the night at the Carpenters, see Uncle Kirk and Aunt Jenny among others.

Around this time of year I often let Satan tell me that I'm not as loved as some other people becuase I don't have an extended family who like really loves spending time with each other, and I don't have any friends to go see "back home" where my parents live in BR, and and I'm not dating anyone or getting kissed under the miseltoe on New Years Eve. But when I look at this list (and there's more I'm leaving out) I realize how silly how all that is.
"We loved you so much that we shared not only the Gospel with you, but our whole lives as well." 1 Thess 2:8

No comments: