Monday, November 1, 2010

The greatfulness project: Day 1


The month of November has always been one of my favorite months. The weather is usually pleasant. Many of the boys I know decide to participate in "no-shave November" so they have some pretty awkward facial hair going on. Football season is getting really good. I start buy Christmas gifts. And, most importantly, Thanksgiving is upon us. This month, I want to really work on redeveloping my attitude of gratitude. I feel like lately I've been a little lazy when it comes to giving thanks. So this month I'm going to be making a daily list of 5 things each day that I am thankful for. Here are the rules: 1. I have to have at least 5 things. 2. No repeats. 3. It has to be something that is specific to the day, not merely general (although things I should always be thankful for can be listed if an event of the day prompted my conviction about it). I will posting what I'm thankful for but also probably blog about other things, so my gratitude posts will be marked by the title. I don't promise to post daily, but I will do the exercise every day. Alright that's it. I hope you'll join me in gratitude this month!

Today I'm thankful for:

1. The relationship I have with my mother: Today one of my students told me about her stormy relationship with her mother who has not spoken to her in months and ruined her high school graduation. While my mother and I's relationship is far from perfect, I know that she loves me and would never be so vindictive as to ruin a time that should be a milestone for me. I am thankful that she loves me and wants what's best for me no matter what.

2. Precious moment with baby Kennedy: The secretary in my office, Ivy, has a 2 year old baby girl Kennedy. Ivy's fiance Bryan often picks up Ivy from work and brings Kennedy in the office. Today she came running into my office for some love and it was just too sweet.

3. Leftover Halloween candy: My students were so much quieter with suckers in their mouths.... haha

4. An extra cup of coffee on the Monday morning after Halloween weekend.

5. This awesome music video that I ran across this morning before work... Prepare for a really, really good laugh.

http://music.todaysbigthing.com/2010/10/29

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love, love , love this idea!!! You're right, we should all join you in this!