Friday, November 5, 2010

The greatfulness project: Day 5


Today I'm thankful for:

1. That every day is brand new. I can start fresh, let go of yesterday's drama, and choose a new attitude.

2. Having a teachable moment with one of my students on disciplinary probation. There are some lessons we all must learn that you just can't teach in a classroom. Today I got to help a student learn to take responsibility for her actions and right a wrong that sh created (regardless of who else contributed to the problem).

3. Singing "stand by me" with my 4 of my students in the quad this afternoon

4. Praying with my student: One of my students is having back surgery tomorrow. This student has really made an effort to get to know me throughout the semester. He is a long way from home, had a pretty rough life growing up, and is a practicing Muslim. He often comes to me to discuss issues with girlfriends, family, religion, and his African World Studies class (I am following the classes readings for fun since its interesting and about a third of my students are in the class). He came to my office to discuss his plans for surgery and how I can help him during recovery. He was about to leave my office and said that he would really like it if I prayed for him. So I did. I never thought I would do that at my job.

5. Th way God works in ways that I would have never imagined. I love that he is still surprising me with the creative and extravagant ways he loves me.

No comments: