Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So I've been reading Leviticus...


Don't even ask me why. It's one of those things I just can't explain. I guess I got inspired after my 6 week stint teaching Children's church (Moses, Joshua, Caleb and Jericho...). Whatever the reason, the other day I ran across something that is actually amazing (an I thought some sections of the Bible were put in there just to help me sleep on a restless night...).

Leviticus 10:10 "You must distinguish between what is sacred and what is common."

The Lord says this to Aaron after telling him that if he gets drunk before going to Tabernacle then he will surely die. Suddenly, the book of Leviticus began to come into perspective. The Israelites were God's holy people. Holy. Set apart. Different. Not common. And yet they are just people who do common things sometimes and God has to remind them of who they are. The law of Moses always seemed silly and restrictive to me, but now I feel a little... jealous.

Don't get me wrong, I love eating bacon and not having to be exiled to a tent with all the other menstruating women when my monthly visitor comes. But sometimes I wish there were more clear cut rules to sort out the holy from the common in my life. My generation loves community but hates going to church. We love tolerance but hate being judgmental. I feel like I live a life that is so ordinary, and I'm not so sure I know what it's supposed to look like to be holy. Set apart. Different. Not ordinary. So I am a little jealous of the Israelites and their God who spoke directly to them and sent them signs and told them exactly what they needed to do.

So tonight I'm praying for God to reveal himself to my little, ordinary self. I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that when he does, I'll realize I'm not so ordinary after all...

No comments: