Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A simple plan?


The Postcard translates: I want to change the world but I don't have the means.

Lately there has been so much buzz in the Christian world about simple living. With Shane Claiborne's Irresistable Revolution it is a radical and completely different way of going about your faith. The problem of the world to him and others like him is a simple one to solve. Claiborne's book suggests to me at least that if we all would live in the shadow of his example, then the world would be a simple place. His church even calls itself the Simple Way. It's not that I disagree with his generosity at all, in fact I would tend to agree with him on his opposition to the ridiculous materialism found in America. However at the end of the day, I feel the same way as the author of the postcard. It seems to me that the problem is that its not simple, its not just about money and resources. Its not a simple thing to learn to think with a mind that is not revolved around your own world. What I mean is that it is not a simple thing to cast a vote or to care for the environment or to be informed about fair trade products ect. For many of us we will never know what its like to need government assistance to feed our families or to not have access to basic health care, however when we vote we much think of such people to make the right choice. Many of us will never be in a situation where we have to worry about our landfills filling up or water running out ect, but for the sake of our children and their children ect. we take care of the world we live in. Many of us will never be in horrific working conditions but we have to buy our goods knowing that there are people all over the world who are mistreated so we can go to the mall and drop hundreds of dollars on things worth very little. These aren't simple feats. At least they don't seem like them to me. But maybe I'm wrong. I know when i look at the scripture and see literally thousands of verses about caring for the poor. I think the reason for this is that it is complicated and we don't really get it and God knows it. I just can't kid myself into ebleiving this whole changing the world thing is simple, I don't think it is at all. However, I am convicted that the world we live in can be a different place, and it will be someday because of people who love the Lord and who follow his commands when its not simple, who make hard choices, who let Jesus mess up thier plans. Sometimes I think its good to be complicated..

No comments: