Sunday, July 12, 2009

Clarity: Freedom from indistinctness


Camp is so busy, I haven't had time to post! However, I am having an incredible time. I am constantly amazed at how things seem to work themselves out. Telling the story of Moses to the kids these past two weeks has forced me to think about how his story and my story are the same. Much of the time I feel all these questions, and yet these past few weeks I have been telling 45 kids how God makes a way for us, that he has plans for us, that he cares about our suffering, and that he sends us friends to help us coplete the jobs he's laid out for us. The thing is, I am absolutely certain that its all true. I wish I could explain it, but I know that God does care about those kids, and when things are unfair he is concerned about thier suffering. And I am sure that he has given them a job to do- that they probably think is crazy. I know that he will send them thier Aaron to help them along, and I know he will make a way for them when it seems like there isn't a way- just like he parted the waters of the Red Sea.
I don't know how to get rid of those questions in my heart, and at times like this Isort of feel like a fool for having them in the first place. But this week I realized something new about the Red Sea- it was God that led them there. He was guiding their steps by a pillar of cloud during the day, and a pillar of fire during the night and he led them through the wilderness to the Red Sea. The easiest way out of Egypt was the other direction, and there would be no sea to cross. I am certain those Hebrews were wondering why God brought them there, when there was a better way. And, not that it matters what I think, but that certainly seems like a legit set of questions to me.
I decided that this was going to be my summer of clarity. Even if I don't learn anything else, I feel like God answered my prayers. He does things that we can't understand, we're not supposed to. We're supposed to ask questions, he wants it that way. He wants us to ask them becuase the answers are things like parting the Red Sea; the answer is always "wait on me, I have heard about your suffering, and I will make a way for you." So, for now I pray what Moses prayed in Psalm 90: "May the Lord make us sure of his steadfast love, and may He bless the work of our hands. Yes, bless the work of our hands."

No comments: