Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grown up?

Tomorrow I start my very first professional job. I am giddy with excitement and trembling in fear. In two weeks, I'll move into an apartment on my own. I looked into buying a washer and dryer yesterday. I'm not sure how it happened, but I feel like I woke up and turned into a grown up! A few observations from this transition:
- I am really blessed with people who really care about me. I am especially thankful for all the adults in my life who treat me like family. My professors and supervisors poured energy into shaping and molding me into a professional of integrity. My brothers and sisters (or as I like to call them, my spiritual aunts and uncles) at church have loved and encouraged me until they were blue in the face to make sure I that I always kept the Father at the center of my life.
- I am really excited about my job, and I feel so official with my real life big girl job, but I am really cautious. I want to honor God with my professional life and, since this is a new experience for me, it will be a journey to figure out how to do that.
- Making a large purchase is really intimidating.
- Deep breathing will change your life. I am so serious. I am a shallow breather and when I force myself to take long relaxed breaths for a few minutes I get a little woozy from all that oxygen! haha
- Money definitely isn't everything. But it is a releif to know I'm on somebody's payroll...
- No one has it all figured out, and I don't have to either. If I am really going to be the woman God has called me to be, I've got to stop trying to seem like I'm so together and just be honest with others, myself and God about where I'm at.
- Relish every second of a mojor milestone. You will never get that time back, and I want to remember all the crazy and boneheaded things I did in 20 years so I can tell my children about them and laugh.

I'm off to get some rest- I have a big day tomorrow!

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

AHHH!!! SHANNON!!! Congratulations! I can't wait to hear about your role as a woman in the workforce - I'm sure you'll have some hilarious stories. I'm thinking of you and praying God's hand over you, dear friend.

Jenny said...

Woo Hoooooo!!!!! I'm so happy and proud and excited!! Can't wait to hear about your first day!!
Love you!!!!