Friday, December 17, 2010

My groan up life...

So it's been a while since I've posted anything. I was busy growing up. That seems like such a silly thing to say, especially when I feel like I've got such a long way to go, but it is sort of true. I don't like to blog when I'm having growing pains, mostly because I'm afraid I'll sound cynical. So here's a few snippets of what I'm learning:

- Consolidating student loans is not as easy as it sounds (and it already sounds kinda hard...). I start making payments soon!

- Keep your receipts and warranty information for large purchases. Preferably all together in a place that you can actually find them.

- Remember that whatever you buy people for Christmas... you have to find a way to wrap it!

- When teaching college freshmen there will always be those kids who show up Friday of finals week and want to know if they can still pass your class even though they haven't turned in a single thing all semester.

- Sometimes people say one thing but mean another. I can not control this. But, I will no longer waste energy trying to decode the underlying meaning of their words. Just say it and be done with it. Save the manipulation, guilt trips, and subtle hints for someone who actually wants to entertain your games. I don't.

- Old friends are the best. Like make me want to cry when they answer the phone, make things okay again, send me presents when I didn't expect them best. I am so grateful.

- Twinkle lights and hot chocolate are the best distraction from thinking about things you would rather not dwell on.

- Who I am is not determined by what others think of me. I cannot behave foolishly and later say that I was just defending myself or blame my childishness on their provocation. I will always treat others with respect, even if they don't deserve it.

- Advent means to wait in expectation. I am waiting and searching for times when Jesus shows up in my life. The funny thing is, once I started looking I see him all around me.

- I will never tire of watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. I can't help but laugh at Lucy's therapy for nickels and Pigpen's cloud of dust in the snow. I'm a sucker for the terrible tree, Linus' baby Jesus speech, and Hark the Herald Angels sing. I just love it, and I think I always will.

- The people I choose to have in my life are a real hodgepodge. I like that last Monday afternoon I made pralines with my 84 year old friend and that same night went to a dance recital of my 7 year old friend. This week I went shopping with my friend who is a single mom of 3 kids and works part time as a cook for a convent and I had lunch with my friend who's an attorney. I got some advise and encouragement from 2 different friends, one single the other married and a mom of 3. Sometimes I feel like my relationships make no sense. Then I realize how beautiful it is because it makes no sense.

- I am a magnet for awkward situations. Seriously, they flock to me. When dealing with these things its best to be graceful, or if that's not possible laugh until you cry or can't breathe... haha

- When shopping for real art, learn to control your sticker shocked face. Artists may take offense if you think their masterpiece isn't worth what they're asking for it. :-)

- People are so nosy. But they don't want you to know it so they meddle. And if they can't figure it out they make stuff up. It's annoying.

- Brushing teeth at night is essential, no matter how tired I am.

- When tragedy strikes, there is often little you can do except love and pray.

- At the end of the day, no matter what has happened, faith, hope and love remain in your heart to keep you going. And, it's true what they say: the greatest of those really is love.

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

Nice play on words... 'groan up' instead of 'grown up'. You tricky lady you.

Brent Bailey said...

Such great wisdom. Thanks for sharing! I particularly agreed with the "say one thing but mean another" post...when I become more conscious of the ways my speech is intentionally misleading and unclear, it makes me more conscious of other people, and I just get tired of all of the games.