Sunday, June 5, 2011

TED talks, poverty, and doing what's right

So.... here's another nerdy confession. I spend an embarrassing amount of time each week watching TED talks. In case you're not as nerdy as I am, TED is a nonprofit dedicated to ideas worth spreading. They started in the 80s with a focus on Technology, Entertainment and Design. Now their scope is incredibly broad and they hold several conferences each year. These conferences are generally based on a theme TEDGlobal, TEDWomen, etc. and consist of today's innovative thinkers sharing their unique ideas. Each speakers talk is recorded and then podcasted on TED's website.

I watch TED talks anytime I have a spare 15 minutes. I often envy the creativity and brilliance of TED presenter. However, what I envy the most is their passion. They genuinely overflow with love and excitement about their field of interest. There are a few TED talks that I find myself watching over and over again. This one from Jessica Jackley is one of them. Jessica is a young woman who has transformed what millions of people around the world think about the poor and has revolutionized the way people give to charity by making micro-finance accessible to the masses through her website kiva.org. Her passion for the poor is infectious. I gaurantee you that the video is worth 17 minutes of your time, and that it will leaving you feeling inspired and empower. The questions is... What will you do?


No comments: