Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Generation what?


I read this article in the New York Times a couple of weeks ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I know what you're all thinking: "Wow Shannon, you really ARE a nerd." Which is true but not quite the point I'm trying to make. The article talks about my generation of college students coming up and it seems that everyone is trying to figure out what to call us. Everyone, including myself, is wondering what our mark will be. This article suggestion is alarming to me, and yet I feel as though Friedman is dead on. We are more optimistic than we ought to be but we are quiet, too quiet perhaps. For the most part, I am not worried for my generations values (although I do worry about our priorities). And it dawned on me this afternoon that this world we live in could be a different place, and it will be, if we ever decide to use our voice.

No comments: