Saturday, March 21, 2009

Foot in mouth

"You must let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but only what is beneficial for the building up of the one in need, 1 that it may give grace to those who hear."
Ephesians 4:29

I hate when I say things without thinking. You know when you just become the worst version of yourself and before you even think about it, something that pops out of your mouth that is hurtful. Half the time, whatever thing you said isn't even true, it is just temporary and fleeting frustration. I hate when I do that. Tonight I did this to my friend Chris. And even though I apologized and he isn't angry (at least I don't think he is) I can't stop thinking about what I said, and wondering how long it will be before I get the point. Now I know, we all do this. However, I am afraid that too often I find myself wishing I hadn't said what I said , or that I had said it in a different way. Maybe, I'm just feeling particularly guilty this evening, but I have to wonder what kinds of things I should say so that I am "living a life worthy of the gospel" as Paul talks about. The good news is, I have friends who extend grace to me when I don't deserve it, and who teach me that it really is better to be quick to listen and slow to speak.

1 comment:

Ryan Self said...

I totally feel what you're saying. I've said things before that I immediately regret, mostly because I don't really mean them and that it's not a true reflection of who i am. But i always try to keep that in mind the next time someone lashes out at me. I like your blog! see you sunday