Monday, May 17, 2010

Graduation by numbers


The picture to the left was a secret this week on postsecret. While, the secret was not mine, it may as well have been. I graduated 10 days ago with my masters degree. In those 10 days I: shook 7 hands as I walked 10 paces across the graduation stage (without tripping!); packed 6 years into 39 boxes onto a 17 foot Penske truck; drove 800 miles; said about 1,000 goodbyes; cried about 1,000,000 tears; applied for 13 jobs; and read 0 pages (well newspapers, magazines, and the Bible don't count).

While I feel kind of overwhelmed about the transition I am currently in (I just finished my Exit Loan counseling that tells me what happens if I don't pay my student loans back.. YIKES!), a woman at church on Sunday reminded me of something important. She was asking me about applying and all that kind of stuff, I was telling her all of my strategies for looking for jobs and going on and on about everything I could do to try to find something. At the end of our conversation she said something to the effect of "Well, I'm sure you already are, but don't forget to pray about it. God will send you a job."

A year ago I spent my summer telling 45 kids about Moses. I taught them about how God makes a way for us, that He has plans for us, that He cares about our suffering, and that He sends us friends to help us complete the jobs he's laid out for us. The thing is, I am absolutely certain that its all true. I wish I could explain it better, but I know that God does care about those kids, and when things are unfair He is concerned about their suffering. I am sure that he has given them a job to do- that they probably think is crazy. I know that he will send them their Aaron to help them along, and I know he will make a way for them when it seems like there isn't a way- just like he parted the waters of the Red Sea.

That said, I am also sure that God has been preparing me for something. The past 5 years I have been grown and stretched in ways I never would have expected. So I'm sure that my dear sister was right, God will send me a job. In some ways, he already has. Anyways, with the exception of missing my Abilene friends, my life mostly excellent and God is taking care of me, and I am so thankful for that.

No comments: