Friday, May 21, 2010

Knowing the Father

2 Peter 1:3-4 "By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires."

When I was little girl, I wanted to know that everything would turn out right. I had to stay up to watch the end of movie or read the end of a book, because I couldn't handle not seeing things get resolved. I still want things to turn out right, that will never end.

Now I wonder more and more what turning out right really means. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the passage above. It says that "God has given us everything we need for living a godly life." I worry a lot about doing things the right way. I'm always overthinking things because I want to make the right decision. I want to choose the right career, the right friends, the right path, the right boyfriend, the right kind of fun to have, the right kind of shampoo to use, the right kind of sandwich to have for lunch... I think I'm starting to realize that maybe the right thing is to simply live a Godly life. After all, the reason I want to do all those things right really boils down to 2 fears: I'm afraid other's won't like me if I do the wrong thing and I'm afraid God won't love me if I make a wrong move. The problem, once again, is my pride. I love to pretend like I am in total control when really, I have to learn to trust God. Wait, I WANT to learn to trust God.

The best part of the 2 Peter passage is the begining of the second sentance. We received everything we need for a Godly life simply by comoing to know him. How simple can it get? All this time I've been spending all this time feeling anxious and putting pressure on myself (and others) to do the "right" things, when really I should have been focusing on knowing the Father. Knowing him is what unlocks his promises. Knowing him is what shows me what's the "right" thing. Knowing him, more specifically knowing his love for me, teaches me to be satisfied by him alone. Everything I need is found right in my relationship with Him. Not rules and regulations. Friendship. So this week, as I have been searching for a job, I have also been searching for the Father, and trying to learn something about him that I didn't know before. The funny thing is, what I've found is that loves me more than I’ll ever really comprehend.

No comments: