Thursday, July 15, 2010

I have a dream that...


At camp we try to teach the kids something that relates to the main Bible story. Since Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego disobeyed the law to stand up for what was right, we studied the civil rights movement for a week of our camp. On Tuesday in art class our students listened to this part of Dr. Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech:

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today.


Our kids then responded to this dream by illustrating some of their own dreams for their generation. Some of their dreams are listed below. I was truly impressed with how beautiful their dreams really were. I hope and pray that by coming to camp they are one step closer to being able to fulfill thier dream. I have not altered thier phrasing, only corrected their spelling...

From the children of Kid City Camp 2010:
I have a dream that...
- Everyone would be nice
- Everybody will have superpowers
- I would go to heaven
- People would not kill each other anymore
- All children could get the same education with no cost. No difference between private and public!
- People would not litter
- No one would be treated like trash even if they did something bad
- There would be no more shooting in my neighborhood
- The day could be quicker
- Homeless people will have their own house
- Violence would stop because good people are dying for nothing
- New Orleans would have no more floods
- Everyone would have enough money to get by
- Everything would taste like chocolate
- All the cousins, both young and old would share the Wii together
- The war in Afghanistan would end so families could be reunited
- There would be no more oil in the ocean and New Orleans would be cleaned up

No comments: